The alleged abduction and murder of a 10-year-old girl in Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore district has triggered widespread outrage, with residents staging protests and opposition leaders raising concerns over the safety of women and children in the state.
The child, who went missing on May 21 while playing near her home in Sulur, was later found dead near Kannampalayam, according to police officials. Her body was recovered from an area near a water tank and sent for postmortem examination.
Police said the girl had been playing outside her house when she suddenly disappeared. After unsuccessful attempts to locate her, her family approached the police and filed a missing complaint.
The discovery of the child’s body sparked anger among local residents, who gathered in protest demanding immediate action and strict punishment for those responsible.
Police have detained two suspects, identified as Karthik and Mohanraj, in connection with the case. Reports said one of the accused, Karthik, was hospitalised after allegedly suffering injuries while attempting to escape.
The victim’s mother demanded a direct assurance from Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Vijay before accepting the body from the mortuary after the postmortem.
Expressing disappointment, she said the family expected a clear response and assurance of justice from the state government.
Following mounting public outrage, the Chief Minister’s Office released a statement strongly condemning the crime and assuring strict action against the accused.
The statement described the incident as “inhuman and unforgivable” and said such crimes would not be tolerated in society. The Chief Minister also conveyed condolences to the victim’s family and confirmed that two accused had been arrested.
The government further stated that police had been directed to conduct a fast and detailed investigation and file the chargesheet at the earliest. Authorities also promised stringent punishment in crimes involving women and children.
Meanwhile, opposition leaders criticised the government over law and order concerns.
Tamil Nadu BJP leader K. Annamalai alleged that women and children continued to remain unsafe in the state and urged the government to take stronger preventive measures.
AMMK chief T. T. V. Dhinakaran condemned the killing and sought severe punishment for the accused, while PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss called for the death penalty if the allegations against the accused are proven.
Political leaders across parties also urged the government to strengthen safety mechanisms to prevent such incidents from recurring in the future.
One reply on “Coimbatore Girl Murder Sparks Outrage; CM Vijay Assures Swift and Strict Action”
[…] Originally published on 24×7-news.com. […]